I love to crochet. I find it wonderfully calming and peaceful, and yet it fulfills my need to always be productive (I swear...I didn't just watch an entire season of Downton Abby...I crocheted four hats!). One of the best things about crochet is how easy it is to learn. For my inaugural craft post, I figured I would post something quick, easy, and useful.
I taught myself from a book while working night shifts as a registration clerk in an emergency room. Between the ambulances and steam of sick and injured individuals, things could get pretty dull...especially between the hours of 1AM and 5AM. Not that anyone minded dull in the emergency room, because the alternative, was, well, and emergency.
Anywho, in order to keep my mind and my body awake, I needed something to do with my hands: enter crochet. Once I caught on to the basics, I found myself whipping out hats, scarves, and mittens like nobody's business. And while I've since learned more complicated stitches and designs, I've always found that my favorite projects are the simplest ones. This brings me to the topic of this post: The World's Easiest Crocheted hat. Let's face it, if winter is coming and you need to make hats for a lot of people (your kids, your spouse, nieces and nephews, etc...) it isn't realistic to spend days on a super complicated pattern for each one. Rather, it makes a lot more sense to make several in a day or an afternoon.
This project is suitable for a beginner, though even experienced craftster can appreciate its simplicity...In fact if you've been crocheting for a while you are probably familiar with projects like this. Just keep in mind, simple can still be beautiful, especially if you use a nice quality yarn.
Pattern:
Materials: 1 skein of bulky weight yarn. Size H (5mm) crochet hook. Color is up to you!
Tip: I like to use Paton's Classic Wool Roving. It is 100% wool, so it is very warm, but not too expensive. I usually buy it at Michael's when they have a big sale, or I have coupon for significant savings.
*Note: Measure the head of whoever you are making this for. Once the base of the hat it large enough, stop increasing and skip to row 14. For a child, you may only need to go to row 5 or 6. For someone with a large head (like my husband) you will likely need to make the whole pattern.
Stitches you will need to know: slip stitch, single crochet (sc) and half-double crochet (hdc).
To start: Chain 5. Join with a slip stitch to join a ring
Round 1: Chain 1, then SC 6 times in the ring. (6 stitches)
Round 2: Ch. 1, then *SC two times in each stitch around*. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (12 stitches)
R3: Ch. 1 *1 SC in next stitch, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch (18 stitches
R4: Ch. 1 *1 SC in next 2 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (24 stitches).
R5: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 3 Stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (30 Stitches).
R6: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 4 Stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (36 stitches).
R7: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 5 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (42 stitches).
R8: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 6 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (48 stitches)
R9: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 7 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (54 stitches.)
R10: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 8 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (60 stitches.)
R11: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 9 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch. (66 stitches)
R12: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 10 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch (72 stitches)
R13: Ch.1 *1 SC in next 11 stitches, 2 SC in next stitch* around. Join to beginning stitch with slip stitch (78 stitches).
R14-R19: Ch.1: SC in each stitch around. Join to beginning stitch with a sip stitch.
R20-22: Ch. 2: HDC around. Joint to beginning with slip stitch. Fasten off. Weave in the ends...and you're done!!
What's great about this pattern is you can jazz it up if you want to. You can crochet a flower and add it to the hat, or change colors every couple of rows, or maybe just change colors for the brim (R20-R22).
For added warmth and insulation, you can sew a felt or fabric lining into the hat.
Another great way to use this pattern is as a teaching tool for a child learning their multiplication tables. As you increase, each row it is a multiple of 6. This can be a fun way to incorporate math into everyday activities.
Happy crafting! If your weather is anything like we've been getting here, you may be spending many an afternoon cooped up in your craft room.
Until next time,
-JoAnna
No comments:
Post a Comment