Sunday, January 4, 2015

Forget New Years Resolutions...I'm Making Plans!

Hello all!

My name is JoAnna and welcome to my blog, where I will chronicle my journey to create (as the blog title would suggest) my own healthy and happy homestead.  As I learn the ins and outs and tricks of simple, sustainable living, I hope you'll join me.  My goal is to share information that is  inspirational and useful (and if all else fails, humorous).

Some topics I'll cover in this blog include:

-Healthy Cooking and Recipes
-Gardening/Urban Farming
-Crafts and Hobbies for the Homestead
-Household tips and Sustainable Living
-Pets and Urban Farm Animals
-General Health and Wellness
-Miscellaneous fun


I realize this is quite a variety of things to write about. However,  I've always been the kind of person who wants to try everything.  As a kid, my parents were continually telling me to slow down, but let's face it: It just isn't in my nature.  Instead, I'd rather embrace my eclectic (some would say flighty) nature and use it to my advantage in order to live a life of positivity and joy.


About Me 

 Before I go any further, I should probably share a little bit about myself.  Here are the basics:  I am 27 years old, married to my adoring husband "K", and together we have four dogs and two cats.  We enjoy lots of hiking, fishing, snowshoeing, and camping with our dogs.  I also do a lot of downhill and cross country skiing ("K" prefers not to move so fast).   This past September we bought our first home in small town Montana (and when I say small, I mean small...even by Montana standards). There is no stop light, police station, or grocery store.  Horses, dogs, and chickens running loose through the neighborhood is  fairly common occurrence.  Even though this means a 30 mile commute to work each way, "K" and I love our sturdy old house, and plan to make the most of our quarter-acre lot (we also are doing our best to offset our carbon footprint...but more on that in future posts).  Last October we converted an old shed into a chicken coop, and in the spring, we plan to add chickens, ducks, and possibly a milk goat to our menagerie.  We haven't decided about the goat yet, as we want to make sure we have enough room.  Also, two of our four dogs are border collies.  I don't want them to herd the poor thing relentlessly. 

Some of the gorgeous Scenery Hiking in Western Montana


"Sonny", my beautiful boy border collie, enjoying a hike. 

In the past five months, we've experienced all sorts of new homeowner disasters from the furnace breaking down to the pipes in our laundry room bursting on New Years Eve.  However, we've
done our best to weather these storms with a positive out lookout and an eye toward the future. I'm sure the solutions and details of these disasters will make there way into future posts. 

That's enough about me for now.  I'm sure more details will emerge as time goes on, but this way I won't bore you with a prolonged autobiography. 

Welcome to the New Year

As you may have realized, this inaugural post is very near to the beginning of 2015. However, writing a blog was not a "New Years Resolution".  Rather, this year I decided rather than making resolutions, I would make plans.  Resolutions can be so vague...we say things like I resolve to lose weight...I resolve to drink less...spend more time with my kids...etc.   But the problem is, these resolutions don't say at all HOW these lofty goals will be accomplished. Instead, I made detailed plans to help me get what I want out of life.  Creating this blog is one part of my greater plan to live a more sustainable and fulfilled life.

Another big part of that plan is my garden.  I am ecstatic, excited, and thrilled beyond reason to be able to have a big, beautiful, productive garden this year.  Even though it is January 4th,  we have been experiencing subzero temperatures for the past week, and it is currently dumping buckets of snow outside, I already planning this massive undertaking.  I've drawn detailed sketches of our backyard and front yard, and mapped out the best places to place raised garden beds to maximize our space. I've already figured out where to plant each vegetable to get the optimal amount of sunlight. I've created a "shopping list" of tools, lumber, and hardware we'll need to get the job done.  But I'll write a more detailed "how to" post on all of this soon.  I don't want to get ahead of myself!  Really I just want to show how much more effective planning can be  than New Years Resolutions.  Whatever it is you want to accomplish, make a plan, and then make it happen!

I am excited to begin this blogging and homesteading journey.  Now, I realize the changes and challenges my husband and I will be facing won't happen overnight.  We will have to take some baby-steps.  Store bought sprouted-grain bread and canned tomatoes aren't going to disappear from my repertoire like magic. I probably won't sew  our clothes at home (though handmade sweaters, hats, mittens and blankets are all reasonable). However, over time we will learn and grow, and I will share our successes (and failures) for the benefit of all. 

Until next time!

-JoAnna

P.S. Comments, feedback, and questions are always encouraged!  I welcome constructive criticism, advice, and communication with readers.  I only ask that readers refrain from abusive, offensive and vulgar language. 

No comments:

Post a Comment